The City of Toronto has its own policies and procedures for reviewing and accepting potentially contaminated lands that are to be conveyed to the City, under the Planning Act, typically during redevelopment projects. Part of these policies are: what Environmental Site Assessments (ESAs) under O.Reg. 153/04 and amendments must be completed for the lands, who must prepare and Peer Review them, and what Risk Management tools are acceptable by the City.
A new policy document will soon be submitted to City Council – the latest version being January 2015. If council accepts this new policy document, the following changes may affect land conveyance in the near future:
- Qualified Person (QP) requirements
- Acceptance of the Modified Generic Risk Assessment (MGRA) approach
- Soil management best practices
- Risk management measures for long-term site management
- Site plan review by the Ministry
To learn more, please contact Chad Stewart, P.Eng., QP, at Altech: email@example.com or 416.467.5555 x 232.